Nature provides us with the precious basic ingredient for all our products – Adelholzener mineral water. Our actions are therefore driven by social responsibility, sustainability and environmental awareness. The reasons for this particularly lies in the long and eventful history of Adelholzener Alpenquellen. Would you like to find out more? Please read on for more of an insight.
Tradition and history
In November 2017, the Adelholzener Alpenquellen put their seventh bottling line into operation. The capacity of 35.000 bottles per hour of this new refillable PET line increases further the over all production capacities.
(l.t.r. Friedrich Kardinal Wetter, Stefan Hoechter, Sr. Rosa Maria Dick, Franz Demmlmair)
The new company restaurant on the Adelholzen company premises is opened. The modern and light-flooded canteen offers employees daily changing dishes on 450 square metres – most in organic quality and of regional origin.
A new glass plant is built and commissioned in Bad Adelholzen. The modern and complex line enables the filling of up to 28,000 bottles per hour. It is also the first line of the mineral well with a full-bottle inspector that specifically inspects bottles for foreign substances.
Introduction of the Adelholzener glass bottle in a practical blue crate. Adelholzener is thereby able to record growth in a generally declining market for glass bottles.
The Active O2 brand enters the international market with the sale of its first bottles in Austria. Active O2 is now sold in more than 20 countries, including South Korea, VAE and the Netherlands.
The Company began using a returnable PET bottling plant – the first of its kind with cleanroom technology. Adelholzener’s first returnable PET bottles are launched into the market. Due to cleanroom technology fruit juice drinks and spritzers can be bottled with a longer shelf life and without preservatives or additives.
Adelholzener Primusquelle is renamed Adelholzener Alpenquellen GmbH.
A new mineral water spring in the nature reserve, Bergener Moos, which is now used for the majority of the Company’s products except for its medicinal water, was tapped into.
A new bottling facility was built below the convent. The small bottling shop was transformed into a modern industrial plant.
The designer Günter Kupetz developed the GDB’s (GDB = Genossenschaft Deutscher Brunnen eG = Cooperative Society of German Springs and Wells) pearled bottle, which is considered to be a technical and design innovation and which is still used by Adelholzener to this very day.
Sister M. Iphigenia Insam joined the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity in 1933, was assigned to Adelholzen in 1943 and soon became the managing director there. It is particularly due to her that the manual bottling station has become an expanding mineral water company – something for which the Congregation can be grateful.
Adelholzen receives electricity and the first electrical filling plant. From then on, the filling plants, warehouses and administration buildings are constantly modernised and expanded.
In 1849, the owner Georg Mayr began to fill the spring water into so-called “barrels” so that the spa guests could take the water home with them. In 1895, his son, Wilhelm Mayr, begins to “impregnate” the water with carbon dioxide, fill it into glass bottles and ship it to the surroundings of Munich.
3rd Century A.D.
According to legend, a Roman legionnaire, who spent time in the Chiemgau region as a missionary and recluse, discovered the spring “in Andlo’s forest” (“im Holze des Andlo”) more than 1.700 years ago. Using the curative properties of the water and the power of the Christian faith he cured the poor and the sick and was later canonized as St. Primus.
In May 2018 Peter Lachenmeir has joined as third managing director of Adelholzener Alpenquellen with Franz Demmlmair and Stefan Hoechter. He will take the lead in the areas of production, technology and logistics.
(l.t.r. Stefan Hoechter, Peter Lachenmeir, Franz Demmlmair)
As a training company, Adelholzener Alpenquellen consistently invest in modern equipment and training content. The aim is to take over the company’s own well-trained personnel at a later date and to open up corresponding future prospects for them. In 2016, three apprentice receive the Bavarian State Prize for outstanding academic achievements and extraordinary commitment to the company.
The Berufsgenossenschaft Nahrungsmittel und Gastgewerbe awards Adelholzener the Prevention Prize 2014 in the category “Operational Safety Technology” for a new splinter protection for broken glass wagons. The brush cover developed by Adelholzener Alpenquellen prevents shards from being thrown back and injuring employees during the disposal of glass bottles.
Nationwide introduction of a new Adelholzener disposable bottle with sports cap. For the first time Adelholzener mineral water is available all over Germany.
National launch of the Adelholzener organic spritzer, “Bio Schorle”. The trademark Adelholzener plays a significant role outside of Bavaria for the first time. Numerous organic food stores start stocking not only Adelholzener’s organic spritzers (“Bio Schorlen”) but also Adelholzener’s mineral water in returnable bottles.
The Company began using one of the first non-returnable PET bottling lines and launched its new brand, Active O2, nationwide in a modern PET bottle with a practical sports cap. At the same time Adelholzener embarked on its first national television campaign for the new drink. Adelholzener was transformed from a regional drinks producer into a national producer of branded products.
Construction of a new warehouse and logistics centre together with an administrative building.
Sister M. Theodolinde Mehltretter heads the springs’ operations in the capacity of managing director. She was appointed the General Superior of the religious order in 2004 and has been on the Advisory Board of Adelholzener Alpenquellen since then.
Introduction of the low calorie “Bleib in Form“ lemonade. This product line is still a success in the market.
The early 1970s.
Pro-active advertising did not seem to suit the Congregation’s self-perception for a long time, but the decision to produce on an industrial scale meant that the Congregation had to rethink its ideas. Munich was still one of the most important marketplaces and so Adelholzener advertised on the Munich buses and trams.
Official recognition as “Bad” Adelholzen by the Bavarian State Ministry of the Interior.
The Primus spring is awarded the title “state-recognised medicinal spring” (“staatlich anerkannte Heilquelle”). The Adelholzener Heilwasser can still be bought today.
The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul acquired the Adelholzen spa and, with it, the spring. At the time, more than 1,500 sisters working in and around Munich looking after the sick came to Bad Adelholzen in order to regain their strength in the rest home before continuing their hard work. The sisters filled the bottles by hand.
First recorded entry of Bad Adelholzen. Adelholzen has been known as a spa town since at least the 16th Century. Initially, it was for the main part local farmers, citizens and craftsmen who bathed in the waters here. Then, as of the 17th Century, the nobility discovered the spa for themself.
Tradition and history.
Healing power and charity are two terms that have always accompanied Adelholzener Water throughout history. According to our tradition, the medicinal spring of Bad Adelholzen was discovered by the Roman preacher St. Primus at the end of the 3rd century.